• Women’s Bowling Tops The Green North Division

News

Women’s Bowling Tops The Green North Division

• Building Damage: Insights From Principal Stuber

Administrative Updates

Building Damage: Insights From Principal Stuber

• Selecting Selective Enrollment

Features

Selecting Selective Enrollment

• Lift Every Voice: Black Student Union Showcase 2024

Black History Month

Lift Every Voice: Black Student Union Showcase 2024

• Student Parking Lot Entrance/Exit

Administrative Updates

Work Needed: The Student Parking Lot

• Rising and Falling Temps in Classrooms

Features

Rising and Falling Temps in Classrooms

• Social Science Department

Features

Northside Teachers Get Competitive

• Pride, the Police Force and The LGBTQ+ Community

News

Pride, the Police Force and The LGBTQ+ Community

• Farewell From Your Editor-in-Chief and a Farewell to the 2020-2021 School Year

Features

Farewell From Your Editor-in-Chief and a Farewell to the 2020-2021 School Year

News

The Student News Site of Northside College Preparatory High School

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Past Articles

Exploring Thinking Out Loud, Northside’s Mental Health Club

Northside’s challenging academic environment can make it difficult to prioritize mental health. Luckily, Thinking Out Loud offers a variety of fun, stress-reducing activities ranging from community building to crafting for students looking to take their minds off of schoolwork.

Every meeting begins with introductions and a brief informational slideshow presentation on a topic related to mental health. These presentations are full of valuable resources, tips, and coping mechanisms for issues ranging from seasonal depression to stress management. 

Thinking Out Loud has also collaborated with the mental health organization Erasing the Distance, which offers a unique modality emphasizing the importance of mental health through storytelling and personal anecdotes. 

“We talk about microaggressions and work with the Active Minds curriculum to erase the stigma that surrounds mental health,” says Christopher Jones, (Adv. 402 ) President and founder of Thinking Out Loud. “I come from a family where severe mental health issues are generational. Instead of falling into generational patterns, I created a non-medicalized space that positively uses my experiences and emphasizes that mental health is a part of the human experience.” 

Thinking Out Loud group photo, Room 136

Another advocate for the presence of mental health spaces in public learning institutions is Heather Bodie, the interim executive director of Erasing the Distance. Bodie states,  “As a mental health professional, I can confidently say that non-medicalized spaces like Thinking Out Loud make a huge difference in generating solidarity within schools like Northside. I wholeheartedly believe the lessons students take away from the panels, Active Minds lessons, and support resources advertised by TOL work wonders for the community.” Mental health professionals offer a well informed perspective on the importance of safe spaces for students to express their mental health concerns.

“Thinking Out Loud gives a lot of different coping mechanisms and stress relievers every week,” says Alexa Santillan (Adv 407), a TOL club member. “It makes me feel like I’m not alone, and I feel like that helps bring us together in a way.” 

It isn’t easy to speak up about mental health, especially when you’re struggling. The goal of Thinking Out Loud is to find a balance between academic and social life while making sure that no voice is left ignored or unheard.

Additional resources and information are provided in the links below for those who are interested.