The Student News Site of Northside College Preparatory High School

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Past Articles

Northside Students Walkout for Gaza Ceasefire

What Happened?

On January 31, 2024, Northside College Prep and Northeastern Illinois University students participated in a walkout supporting a ceasefire resolution for Gaza. 

Students assembled in front of Northside’s main entrance and marched toward Northeastern’s quad where students spoke out about the situation in Gaza. 

Prior to Northside’s walkout, more than 15 Chicago Public Schools walked out on January 30, 2024, and then marched to City Hall demanding the City Council vote in favor of the ceasefire resolution. These city-wide walkouts were student-planned via social media. 

Post from ncp4justice Instagram page

According to the social media page ncp4justice, the NCP walkout organizers asked NCP students to walk out on Tuesday, however, many students “were unwilling to leave classes on Tuesday.” 

City Council Results 

Ultimately, city council members voted 23-23 on the resolution. Mayor Brandon Johnson broke the tie in support of the resolution. Chicago is now the largest city in the United States to officially call for a ceasefire in Gaza.