• Lift Every Voice: Black Student Union Showcase 2024

Black History Month

Lift Every Voice: Black Student Union Showcase 2024

• Student Parking Lot Entrance/Exit

Administrative Updates

Work Needed: The Student Parking Lot

• Rising and Falling Temps in Classrooms

Features

Rising and Falling Temps in Classrooms

• Social Science Department

Features

Northside Teachers Get Competitive

• Pride, the Police Force and The LGBTQ+ Community

News

Pride, the Police Force and The LGBTQ+ Community

• Farewell From Your Editor-in-Chief and a Farewell to the 2020-2021 School Year

Features

Farewell From Your Editor-in-Chief and a Farewell to the 2020-2021 School Year

• Cubby Walk 2024

Cubby Walk Pictures

Cubby Walk 2024

• Marching to Victory? Students Predict March Madness

A&E

Marching to Victory? Students Predict March Madness

• Chris Naglestad (Adv. 707) competes in a race. (Photo by Ethan Ding)

Features

Making a Splash: Men’s Swim and Dive Completes Their Season

• Water, Water, Everywhere

News

Water, Water, Everywhere

The Student News Site of Northside College Preparatory High School

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Past Articles

Make Room for the Return of Northside’s Wrestling Team

A Winning Combination
Northside’s Wrestling Team Members: (L-R) Willem Johnston (Adv. 607), Eyoasm Zeleke (Adv. 607), Arkady Kosuth (Adv. 600), Henry Kim (Adv. 601), William Markevich (Adv. 603) (Photo by Ellis Korda)

The wrestling team is back. Led by returning sophomore Willem Johnston (Adv. 607),  Northside wrestling hopes to burst into the spotlight this season. 

How the Team Works

Northside’s wrestlers are teammates with wrestlers from nearby Mather High School. The arrangement is known as a co-op, as the two schools compete together. Coach Kyle Shinall explained why the two schools co-op, saying via email, “When the co-op started, Mather did not have enough athletes to fulfill an entire roster.  Northside does not have its own team, and I believe every high school student should have the opportunity to participate in the sport they desire.”

Willem Johnston is declared the winner of his match.
Eyoasm Zeleke (left) anticipates his opponent’s next move.
Willem Johnston (right) gets ready to wrestle.

The team competes in meets with other schools throughout the season, which Coach Shinall explained the format for. 

• There are 14 total weight classes, and a team can have one wrestler in each class.
  • Teams are awarded a different amount of points based on how they won each match.
  • The total score across all matches is added together to determine a winner.

Wrestler Perspectives

Willem Johnston
Henry Kim

Beginning his second year on the team, Willem Johnston looks to continue his impact in big ways. Johnston already had experience with combat sports through four years of Judo, a martial art. This experience allowed him to quickly progress to a higher level in wrestling. Johnston’s goal is to make it at least as far as the regional tournament this season.

Johnston has taken on the role of team leader as teammates brand-new to wrestling have joined. “[My teammates] ask me questions like ‘What did I do wrong here?’…I feel like I’m a teacher.”  

Henry Kim (Adv. 601) is new to wrestling and hopes to “Try to learn as much as possible and try to get as good as possible. I want to see what I can bring to the table and see how those skills can help our team in the long run.”

William Markevich
Eyoasm Zeleke

William Markevich (Adv. 603) wants to improve quickly. “I’m a first-year wrestler, so with work, I can make progress.”

Despite largely being new to wrestling, Northside’s wrestlers have quickly picked up new skills. Eyoasm Zeleke (Adv. 607) says that he is best at “smack-downs and sprawls, and when [my opponent] goes on offense I try to counterattack that.”

Team members are optimistic about the season ahead. Zeleke added, “I’m pretty sure we’re going to be doing better as we get more practice in.”

Coach Shinall said, “We have a good team this season and the expectation is we will be a top 10 team in the city.  I also have the expectation that multiple wrestlers will make it to sectionals.”