Chicago’s Stay-at-Home Order and What You Need to Know

Jack Juarez, Coronavirus Editor

On Nov. 12, Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced a 30-day stay-at-home order, when Chicago was hit with a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic. The order took effect on Nov. 16. Mayor Lightfoot then extended the order to Jan. 10the day before CPS students are set to go back to in-person classes.

To help combat the second wave, Governor J.B. Pritzker imposed statewide restrictions on Nov. 20, closing museums, casinos and theaters. He also limited the operation of grocery stores to a maximum capacity of 50%, while most stores are limited to a capacity of 25%. 

Here are some tips for activities that one could do while staying safe:

1. Work out: Many are unmotivated to exercise ever since in-person meetings started. However, exercise is essential when it comes to staying happy and healthy. There are several exercises you can do, even without equipment.
  2. Connect with friends and family: Ever since going into quarantine, we haven’t been able to hang out or talk with friends or family. So try to see them virtually. You can send texts to friends and family to check up on them, or you can use applications such as Discord, Skype, and Netflix Party. 
  3. Get rest: Just because you have free time doesn’t mean you’re obligated to do productive things. Sometimes all you need to do is enjoy yourself, and that’s alright.
  4. Learn/do something new: Try to do something new. Or even learn something new. You have the entire internet at your disposal, so search up how to cook an omelette. Or look up tutorials for DIY projects.
  5. Watch some movies and/or shows: Since we’re all stuck at home, why not catch up on some shows and movies you missed? You can sit back and relax with family and watch a movie with them, or catch up on your favorite show.

CDC Guidelines:

1. Wear a mask
  2. Stay at least 6 feet apart (about 2 arm lengths) from others who don’t live with you.
  3. Avoid crowds and poorly ventilated spaces
  4. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  • It’s especially important to wash:
    • Before eating or preparing food
    • Before touching your face
    • After using the restroom
    • After leaving a public place
    • After handling your mask
    • After blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing
    • After changing a diaper
    • After caring for someone sick
    • After touching animals or pets
  1. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
  2. Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
  3. Always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow and do not spit. Throw used tissues in the trash.
  4. Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily, such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, etc.
  5. If surfaces are dirty, clean them. Use soap and water or detergent prior to disinfection.

Be alert for symptoms. Watch for fever, cough, shortness of breath, or other symptoms  of Covid-19. Take your temperature if symptoms develop.